Teatro Juarez / Juarez Theater
Musicos del parque La Rebanada del Queso / Street Musicians
Guanajuato was founded as a town in 1554 and received the designation as a city in 1741. It is located in one of the richest silver mining areas of Mexico, and is well known for its wealth of fine colonial era Spanish architecture.
The Spanish name “Guanajuato” comes from Quanaxhuato meaning “Hill of Frogs”, in the native religion of the Purhépecha (Tarascans), the frog represented the god of wisdom.
The city was originally built over the Guanajuato River, which flowed through tunnels underneath the city. However, after years of raising buildings to accommodate repeated flooding, in the mid-twentieth century, engineers built a dam and redirected the river into underground caverns. The tunnels were lit and paved with cobblestones for automobile traffic, and this underground road network carries the majority of cars driving through the city today. It is one of the most notable features of the city.
Gracias por su visita. / Thanks for visiting, its most appreciated.